Never thought Nicky's first birthday would happen so quickly, but it did! I took Nicky's birthday off from work, which I think I will do every year until he is in school. We celebrated with breakfast at the Breakfast Joynt, just Mommy and Nicky. Then we met up with playgroup and went to the splash pad! Nicky LOVED it! Leaving the splash pad was tough. Then his friends gave him books and sang happy birthday to him, and he gobbled up his birthday cookie!
The birthday week started with his Lolo and Lola flying in from Austin to spend the next 5 days with him - they had not seen him since November. Nicky slowly warmed up to them - at this stage he freaks out if either Dan or I leave the room... but by the their last day in Phoenix came around, Nicky loved being spoiled by his grandparents! His CAZ (crazy Auntie Zel) flew in from Seattle on Friday and every time Liezl went in for a hug or a kiss, Nicky gave her the stiff arm - it was funny! Nicky eventually warmed up to CAZ
At this age, all Nicky wants to do is run around and not be held by anyone! One thing we decided to do was take away Nicky's bottle, cold turkey. I had been anxious about it for a while now, since it soothes him early in the morning and allows me to put him back to bed for another hour or two. And on weekends, it helped me because we would both sleep in since he had a full belly of milk. Then when I asked my sister-in-law what am I gonna do when I take away the early morning feedings, she said "that means your day starts when he wakes up." Boo!! But surprisingly he did very well - he has moved on to his cup and drinks 100% milk - it was SOOO NICE to finally put away the bottles, nipples, and the formula! And, he is able to sleep from 7pm to 630am! Getting up at 630am versus 5am makes a HUGE difference!
 |
| Having a moment with Cousin Maya |
 |
| My little man. |
 |
| Waiting for my guests to arrive! |
Grandma and Poppa, Nicky's cousins, and Uncle Steve and Auntie Sandy came up on Saturday afternoon for the big part-tay. Nicky had a jungle themed party (we are practicing animal sounds, and right now his favorite is the lion... rooooarrr!). Nicky invited his closest friends and everyone had a great time! Even Auntie Marie and Uncle Derek traveled all the way from Vegas to celebrate it with him - I hope they make it a tradition..hint hint :)
The weather was perfect - overcast skies with a bounce house set up, and a sand and water station for the toddlers, and all kinds of toys inside the house if the kiddies needed a change of scenery - there was fun for everyone! Then we also had a pinata for the kids, with all kinds of goodies inside - I got "thanks a lot" looks from the parents knowing their kids were about to eat lots and lots of sugar, ha!
I also got the same look when I handed out favors to all the kiddies, which included an annoying whistle. As CAZ would tell me, karma is a bitch!
 |
| My new dog cousin - Ivy Michelle |
 |
| Proud parents! |
Nicky LOVED his birthday cake! He couldn't get enough - eating it by the handful! I did notice later that day he was on a sugar high... this will only be allowed on special occasions!
 |
| They couldn't do a jungle theme, so we went for a prehistoric jungle themed cake... |
 |
| Nicky with Lolo and Lola |
First birthday in the books!!
Happy birthday, Nicky! It was so great to celebrate with you!
ReplyDelete